Man, I think back to when I was a kid, when we used to get all dressed up and go trick-or-treating. I remember always having a blast, but now looking back, I remember those trick-or-treat sacks just getting larger…and larger….and bigger….and even bigger each year that arrived…until we were literally using regular sized pillow cases as our trick-or-treat sacks. UMMMM Seriously? Why on earth would any child (ok fine, I was growing) need a pillow case full of candy? If I even attempted that now, I’d probably go into sugar shock and feel pretty darn horrible haha!
Well, my thoughts on Halloween sweets and treats have obviously changed over the years and now part of the fun is not only dressing up, but creating sinfully healthy Halloween-themed treats that won’t make you feel sick or completely derail your healthy lifestyle!
I got together with my friend Sarah Grace over at Fresh Fit N Healthy for a healthy Halloween recipe swap! We both have a major sweet tooth, so we decided to surprise each other with a new sweet Halloween recipe for each other. The guidelines we went by were that they had to be gluten free, sweet, healthy, and Halloween inspired. I kid you not, the day we exchanged recipes I died laughing because apparently, we both really like pumpkins and we both really like “_______”! HAHAHAHA! You’ll have to head on over to Sarah’s post on Fresh Fit N Healthy to fill in the blank! Hehe, get your mind out of the gutter people, we’re talking about food here 😉 I think you’ll get the joke 😉
In the meantime, check out Sarah’s healthy and delicious healthy Halloween pumpkin inspired Protein Pumpkin Cheerio Balls (and YES, they are gluten free!):
- 1 Cup Trader Joes Pumpkin O’s (could use simple honey-nut cheerios)
- 1 Cup Pumpkin About Time Whey (can sub for Vanilla/Cinnamon)
- ¼ Cup All Natural Peanut Butter
- ¼ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 2 Tbsp Honey + Stevia Packs/Drops to taste (depending on sweetness of protein, I used 1.5 packets of stevia)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Sea Salt (IF NOT using salted peanut butter)
- Walnuts, Halved (optional)
- *Note: depending on whey protein, you may need to add a little extra/less liquid. If too dry, add more honey or pumpkin. If too wet, add more whey or crushed cheerios. Also depending on the sweetness of whey protein used, you may need to use less/more sweetener. Add stevia or other granulated sugar to taste on top of the 2 tbsp honey.
- *Place the cheerios in a plastic bag and smash until mostly fine pieces, with a few bigger pieces. Combine all ingredients in bowl until thoroughly mixed together. Allow to chill in bowl in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Then scoop into small balls. Roll in extra crushed cheerios or powdered sugar (I used orange fruit loops actually!) Place Walnut halves if desired for “stem”.
- Refrigerate until serving or freeze and remove 5 minutes before serving!
A note from Sarah Grace – Hope you enjoyed this festive, healthy treat! I would love for you to come on over to Fresh Fit N Healthy and say hi as you find many more sinless pumpkin goodies!
SAVE RECIPE FOR LATER & PIN:
- Do you LOVE pumpkin as much as Sarah Grace and I do??
- Did you guess what the missing word was above??
- Did you ever use a pillow case as your trick-or-treat sack?
- Do you allow yourself to eat candy on Halloween or do you try to make “healthier” options?
**Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through one of these links, I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Thank you for supporting the blog and making A Fit Philosophy possible!